KidSport Greater Victoria
This program seeks to help balance the playing field, encouraging ongoing and increased engagement by girls in sport and physical activity.
Active Girls applications are currently closed.
Please check back in Spring 2023 for our next cycle of Active Girls grants.
Please see below for more information about Active Girls grants for individuals and organizations.
The KidSport Greater Victoria Active Girls Committee was established to address gender equity in supporting children to participate in sport and physical activity opportunities. Our work includes raising funds to increase the number of girls participating in sport and physical activity by offering grants to encourage and facilitate their involvement in both organized sports and recreational physical activity. Our goal is to create equitable distribution of KidSport funds reaching girls and boys, and to increase the profile of gender equity in sport and physical activity.
Grants are available for both individuals ("Proud to Play Like a Girl" and "Performance Development") as well as organizations ("Play it Forward"). Please note that Play it Forward organizational awards are expected to next be available Spring 2023.
Guidelines & Criteria (individual grants)
- The Fall 2022 application period is now closed. Please check back Spring 2023 for our next Active Girls grant cycle.
- Girls or participants who identify as girls aged 10-18 years living in the Capital Regional District are eligible for the awards inclusive of athletes of all abilities. Please select the grant application most appropriate to the nominee's ability and experience: either the Proud to Play Like a Girl grant OR the Performance Development grant.
- "Proud to Play Like a Girl" - a $250 award that supports girls or participants who identify as girls in earlier stages of participation in a sport OR a physical activity pursuit (e.g. dance, yoga). Note that "Proud to Play Like a Girl" nominees must demonstrate a sustained sport or physical activity experience (e.g. at least one year led by a qualified coach or instructor). Please click here for application form.
- "Performance Development" - a $500 award is intended for girls or participants who identify as girls who are pursuing ongoing (3+ consecutive years) and high-level performance development (3x/week or more) in sport OR a physical activity pursuit (e.g. dance, yoga). Please click here for application form.
- Grant monies should be spent to help cover costs related to attending a training clinic, camp or other form of athletic training, as well as travel, equipment, coaching fees, or program registration fees.
- Priority is given to applicants who demonstrate financial need and/or who require support to address other challanges to their participation. We will also consider an applicant’s experience with leadership, teamwork and fair play. When we have more applications than funds, we will give priority to those who have not received previous Active Girls grants.
- Award cheque will be payable to the recipient’s parent or guardian.
Guidelines & criteria (organizational grant)
- Play it Forward grants are expected to next be available for Spring 2023 intake. Please watch this space for updates.
- "Play it Forward" - This is an organizational grant, of up to $1,000 per applicant organization. This grant is designed to support community organizations' (municipal recreation, schools, not-for-profits) delivery of physical activity and sport programs for girls aged 10-18 living in the Capital Regional District. The intent is to support organizations who reach underserved groups of girls, those who offer non-traditional sport and physical activities for girls, or those who are working to increase the participation numbers of girls in existing physical activity and sporting programs. This grant is offered once or twice a year, Spring and/or Fall. Click here for Play it Forward grant application form.