KidSport Greater Victoria
This program seeks to help balance the playing field, encouraging ongoing and increased engagement by girls in sport and physical activity.
Active Girls applications are now being accepted!
Please apply before October 1, 2023.
The KidSport Greater Victoria Active Girls Committee was established to carry on the legacy of the Greater Victoria chapter of ProMOTION Plus.
Specifically, we seek to address gender equity in supporting children to participate in sport and physical activity opportunities. Our work includes raising funds to increase the number of girls participating in sport and physical activity by offering grants to encourage and facilitate their involvement in both organized sports and recreational physical activity. Our goal is to create equitable distribution of KidSport funds reaching girls and boys, and to increase the profile of gender equity in sport and physical activity.
Grants are available for both individuals ("Proud to Play Like a Girl", "Performance Development", "Game Changers") as well as organizations ("Play it Forward").
Guidelines & Criteria (individual grants)
- The Fall 2023 application period is now open for application submissions. Deadline for submissions is October 1st, 2023. Applicants will be notified regarding the status of their application by November 1st.
- Girls or participants who identify as girls, aged 10-18 years living in the Capital Regional District are eligible for the awards, inclusive of athletes of all abilities. Please select the grant application most appropriate to the nominee's ability and experience: either the Proud to Play Like a Girl grant OR the Performance Development grant OR Game Changers grant.
- "Proud to Play Like a Girl" - up to $350 award that supports girls, or participants who identify as girls, in earlier stages of participation in a sport OR a physical activity pursuit. Note that "Proud to Play Like a Girl" nominees must demonstrate a sustained sport or physical activity experience (e.g. at least one year led by a qualified coach or instructor). Click here to apply.
- "Performance Development" - up to $700 award is intended for girls, or participants who identify as girls, pursuing ongoing (3+ consecutive years) and high-level performance development (3x/week or more) in sport OR a physical activity pursuit. Click here to apply.
- Grant monies must be spent to help cover costs related to program registration fees, camp or other forms of athletic training, travel, equipment, coaching fees.
- NEW: “Game Changers”- up to $500 award is intended for girls, or participants who identify as girls, pursuing sport-related training or education in leadership development (e.g., coaching, officiating, leadership/training certifications). Grant monies must be spent to help cover costs related to attending an educational/training/certification program or event. Click here to apply.
- Priority is given to applicants who demonstrate financial need and/or who require support to address other challenges to their participation. We will also consider an applicant’s experience with leadership, teamwork and fair play. When we have more applications than funds, we will give priority to those who have not received previous Active Girls grants.
Guidelines & criteria (organizational grant)
- The Spring 2023 application period is now closed. Please check back Spring 2024 for our next cycle.
- "Play it Forward" - This is an organizational grant, of up to $1,000 per applicant organization. This grant is designed to support community organizations' (municipal recreation, schools, not-for-profits) delivery of physical activity and sport programs for girls aged 10-18 living in the Capital Regional District. The grant will support organizations (1) reaching underserved groups of girls, or (2) offering non-traditional sport and physical activities for girls, or (3) working to increase the participation numbers of girls in existing physical activity and sporting programs, or (4) offering sport-related leadership development/training/certification opportunities for girls. This grant is offered once or twice a year, Spring and/or Fall.