KidSport Victoria/Greater Victoria
This program seeks to help balance the playing field, encouraging ongoing and increased engagement by girls in sport and physical activity.
Applications now being accepted for Active Girls Spring 2021 grants
Our Spring 2021 Active Girls application cycle is now open!
Please see below for more information about Active Girls grants for individuals and organizations. Spring 2021 application deadline is May 1, 2021.
The KidSport Victoria/Greater Victoria Active Girls Committee was established to address gender equity in supporting children to participate in sport and physical activity opportunities. Our work includes raising funds to increase the number of girls participating in sport and physical activity by offering grants to encourage and facilitate their involvement in both organized sports and recreational physical activity. Our goal is to create equitable distribution of KidSport funds reaching girls and boys, and to increase the profile of gender equity in sport and physical activity.
Grants are available for both individuals ("Proud to Play Like a Girl" and "Performance Development") as well as organizations ("Play it Forward").
Guidelines & Criteria (individual grants)
- Applications are now being accepted for Spring 2021, deadline May 1. Grant decisions will be made and applicants notified by June 1.
- Females aged 10-18 years living in the Capital Regional District are eligible for the awards inclusive of able-bodied, para and special athletes.
- "Proud to Play Like a Girl" - A $250 award that supports girls in earlier stages of participation in a sport OR a physical activity pursuit (e.g., dance, yoga). *Note that "Proud to Play Like a Girl" nominees must demonstrate a sustained sport or physical activity experience (e.g., at least one year led by a qualified coach or instructor). Click here for application form.
- "Performance Development" - A $500 award that is intended for girls who are pursuing ongoing (at least 3+ consecutive years) and high-level performance development (3 x/week or more) in sport OR a physical activity pursuit (e.g., dance, yoga). Click here for application form.
- Grant monies should be spent to help cover costs related to attend a training clinic, camp or other form of athletic training, as well as travel, equipment, coaching fees, or program registration fees.
- Priority is given to applicants who demonstrate the financial need and/or who require support to address other barriers to their participation. We will also consider an applicant’s experience with leadership, teamwork and fair play. When we have more applications than funds, we will give priority to those who have not received previous Active Girls grants.
- Award cheque will be payable to the recipient’s parent or guardian.
Guidelines & criteria (organizational grant)
- "Play it Forward" - This is an organizational grant, of up to $1,000 per applicant organization. This grant is designed to support community organizations' (municipal recreation, schools, not-for-profits) delivery of physical activity and sport programs for girls aged 10-18 living in the Capital Regional District. The intent is to support organizations who reach underserved groups of girls, those who offer non-traditional sport and physical activities for girls, or those who are working to increase the participation numbers of girls in existing physical activity and sporting programs. This grant is offered once or twice a year, Spring and/or Fall. Click here for Play it Forward grant application form.