KidSport Northwest Territories
APPLY FOR A GRANT
Get all of the information you need to determine if you are eligible for a KidSport grant or Community Equipment Grant.
What is a Grant?
KidSport provides grants to kids from families facing financial barriers so they can participate in registered sport programs and experience the lifelong benefits of a season of sport. KidSport Northwest Territories provides grants of up to $500 per eligible kid, per year (January 1st - December 31st) towards sport registration fees.
Grants are intended to be used for sport registration fees; travel and competitions are not eligible for funding.
KidSport Northwest Territories uses the following eligibility requirements to determine financial eligibility for sport grants.
- Only youth 18 years and younger will be considered for financial support.
- A participant may not receive more than $500 in a calendar year.
- The child's family must meet the income requirements for the KidSport program.
- Activities eligible for funding are sport registration fees and personal sports equipment. If applying for registration fees, a copy of the completed sport registration form must be submitted with the application form.
- Activities NOT eligible for funding are travel to competitions, camp, clinics, etc.
- If someone applies for personal sports equipment only, they MUST submit proof that they are registered for that sport in their community.
- Applications MUST be supported by an adult endorser; someone other than the parent. The endorser acts as an objective third party who is familiar with the athlete's family and is in a professional position to assess the social and economic barriers facing the family (i.e. member of the clergy, law enforcement officer, principal or vice-principal, teacher, counselor, family services or social worker).
If you are unsure of your eligibility to receive a grant, please reach out to email@example.com
Sport Grant Guidelines
Applications should be submitted 30 days prior to the start date of the activity.
Applications are processed throughout the year on a first come, first serve basis.
Applications are reviewed by a volunteer committee. Once the decision has been made, a letter of notification will be sent to the parent. If approved, a copy of the letter will also be sent to the sport organization, school or hamlet office specified on the application.
Funds will be issued directly to the sport organization specified on the application. If the funds are approved for personal sports equipment, a voucher will be issued for the approved amount to be used at either Overlander Sports or Canadian Tire. Alternate arrangements may also be made for other sporting goods stores in the NWT.
Parents may be required to submit their Notice of Assessment (Canada Customs and Revenue Agency) to confirm their annual income.
If you are a foster parent, please provide proof of foster parent status.
If an athlete decides to withdraw from a sport activity, the parent or guardian must notify KidSport NWT.
Community Equipment Program
Through the KidSport Community Equipment Grant (CEG) provides grants ranging from $500 to $2,000. The CEG supports community organizations in their efforts to increase participation in sport. The fund will support projects that are intended to increase sustainable, quality participation-based sport programs by helping to offset the cost of sport equipment. This may include new programs or the expansion of existing programs.
Through this project, KidSport NWT hopes to encourage communities/schools to strengthen their physical education curriculum with the purchase of equipment that supports their programming needs. We want to have a positive, long-term influence on young people’s participation in sport and recreation throughout the north. Application deadline: November 15 (exact date to be confirmed)
Who is eligible to apply?
To be eligible to apply for a NWT KidSport Community Equipment Grant, an applicant must be a:
- Community/sport organization
- Local sport club
- Applications must be submitted using the KidSport CEG’s application available online
- Applications will be accepted up to midnight of the deadline date
- All questions MUST be answered or your application will be considered incomplete and therefore ineligible for funding
- Organizations are eligible to receive funding for one grant during the calendar year
- Program must be completed within 12 months of the KidSport Committee’s notification of approval of the grant
- Applicants are encouraged to ask questions at any time throughout the application process
Your program must demonstrate a commitment to:
- Protect and create recreationally important places that inspire participation in sport
- Encourage and enable participation in sport and provide opportunities for children to try new sport activities and/or develop technical or developmental skills
- Ensure ongoing, public access to sport activity areas within reason
The following factors will be considered when evaluating proposals:
- How the funding will be used to improve access to sport for children;
- How the funding will help promote the value and benefit of sport and recreation participation among children and youth;
- How many children will be affected by the equipment that otherwise wouldn’t have had the opportunity to participate;
- Demonstrated need for funding to purchase equipment that cannot be accommodated within current processes and/or budgets;
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and replace subsidized equipment in future years to ensure sustainability of physical education programming on a long-term basis;
- A community/school cannot receive more than one grant in a calendar year
- Preference is given to communities/schools who are first time applicants
How to Apply:
- KidSport CEG conducts two grant cycles – spring and fall
- Fully complete the online application and email, mail or fax your completed application to KidSport™ NWT
Application deadline: March 15 (midnight)
Applicants notified: Mid-May
Application deadline: September 10 (midnight)
Applicants notified: Mid-November
- Equipment required to operate athletic programs (i.e. balls, nets, sticks, mats, uniforms etc.);
- Shipping costs
How Do I Apply For A Sport Grant?
- Find a sport program your kid would like to join and sign up. Let the program’s administrators know you will be applying for KidSport funding.
- Apply online or use the paper application form - be sure to complete all sections of the application, as incomplete applications take much longer to process, and can cause delays in receiving your grant.
- Your completed application will be processed within 30 days of being received. If you qualify for KidSport funding, the grant will be sent directly to the sport program your kid has signed up for.
You can submit a paper application by mail, fax e-mail:
4908 - 49 Street (1st floor)
Box 11089, Yellowknife, NT X1A 3X7
Fax: (867) 669-8327
Or, send us a paper application: